What is Windows Product Key?
A Windows product key is a 25-character code that is used to activate a copy of the Windows operating system. The product key is used as proof that the user has a valid and legal copy of Windows. It is typically included with the purchase of a new PC or laptop, or when a user purchases a copy of Windows. The product key is used during the installation process to activate Windows and ensure that it is being used on a legitimate and licensed device. Without a valid product key, the user will not be able to fully install and use Windows. In some cases, the product key may be pre-installed on the device, or it may be included in an email or on a physical card that came with the device. Some users may also purchase a Windows product key separately if they wish to upgrade from an older version of Windows.
How to find Windows Product Key
As we are here to learn how to find windows 10 product key. So let discuss in details. There are several ways to find your Windows 10 product key.
- Check the physical packaging that your Windows 10 came in. The product key should be on a label or card inside the package.
- If you purchased Windows 10 online, the product key should be in the email you received after purchasing.
- If you have already installed Windows 10, you can find the product key in the Windows Registry. Open the Registry Editor by pressing the Windows key + R, typing “regedit” and pressing Enter. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ then look for the “SoftwarePreotectionPlatfrom” and click on it. In this folder look for “BackupProductKeyDefault” the value in front of this is your window product key.
- You can also find the windows product key by using your “Command Prompt”. For this method open your command prompt and then paste this code
wmic path softwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
You can also watch this video to learn step by step process for the point 3 & 4 in this list
- Some third-party software like Belarc Advisor or Product Key Finder can also be used to find the Windows 10 product key. These programs scan your computer and display the product key.
- If you have an original Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 key , you can use the Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool to download an ISO file with Windows 10, then use that key during the installation process.
Note: It’s important to note that Windows 8 earlier have reached their end of support from Microsoft, so Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for these versions. It’s recommended to upgrade to Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 or Windows 11 for better security and performance.
Difference Between a Licensed and an Unlicensed Version of Windows
The difference between a licensed and an unlicensed version of Windows is whether or not the user has a valid and legal product key to activate the operating system.
A licensed version of Windows is one that has been activated with a valid product key. This means that the user has a legitimate and legal copy of the operating system, and has paid for the right to use it. A licensed version of Windows will have full access to all features and updates, and will receive technical support from Microsoft.
An unlicensed version of Windows, also known as a “pirated” or “cracked” version, is one that has been installed on a device without a valid product key. This means that the user has not paid for the right to use the operating system. An unlicensed version of Windows may be missing some features or may not receive updates, and will not receive technical support from Microsoft.
Using an unlicensed version of Windows can put your computer at risk of security vulnerabilities, malware or viruses, and you may also not be able to use some software that need a licensed version of Windows. And, you may receive notifications that your version of Windows is not genuine, and you may not be able to personalize your computer or access Windows updates.
Use of Window
Windows is a widely-used operating system that is used for a variety of tasks on personal computers and laptops. Some of the most common uses of Windows include:
- Personal productivity: Windows provides a range of built-in features and applications that can be used for tasks such as word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, and email. Many people use Windows to create and edit documents, track finances, and manage their calendar and contacts.
- Gaming: Windows is a popular platform for video games, with many popular titles available for Windows PCs.
- Multimedia: Windows includes built-in features and applications for tasks such as playing music and videos, editing photos and videos, and creating digital art.
- Internet: Windows provides access to the internet through the Internet Explorer web browser, and also allows users to access a wide range of web-based services, such as online banking, social media, and online shopping.
- Business: Windows is widely used in business settings, and is compatible with a wide range of business software, such as accounting and project management programs.
- Education: Windows is used in many educational settings, and is compatible with a wide range of educational software, such as learning management systems, and other education-related tools.
Overall, Windows is a versatile operating system that can be used for a wide range of tasks, from personal productivity and entertainment, to business and education.